1. It is not profitable to provide bus services in districts where the population is widely _____.
A. scattered B. dismissed
C. separated D. spread
[注释]scattered是scatter的过去分词，也可作形容词用，(=lying in different directions; not situated together, wide apart)分散的，散布在各处的。Separate分开的，spread传播;摊开，dismiss解雇。
2. There are usually at least two _____ of looking at every question.
A. ways B. directions
C. views D. opinions
[注释]two ways of looking at every questions意指“观察每个问题的两个方面”。
3. He left in such a hurry that I _____ had time to thank him.
A. almost B. even
C. nearly D. scarcely
[注释]scarcely(=hardly, not quite, almost not)几乎没有。Scarcely是否定副词，类似的有：hardly, barely, rarely, seldom, little等。研究生入学考试中经常测试这类否定副词的用法。
4. As more and more cars are produced and used, so the _____ from their exhaust-pipes contains an even larger volume of poisonous gas.
A. exposure B. distribution C. expansion D. emission
[注释]emission散发物，发射。exposure(to)暴露于：They believe that their health problems are the result of years of exposure to fine cotton dust.(他们认为，他们的健康问题是多年来暴露于棉花粉尘所致。)expansion膨胀，扩大;Heat causes the expansion of gas.本题译文：正如汽车的生产和使用越来越多一样，汽车的排气管的散发物内所含的有毒气体量也在增加。
5. The book seems to have been _____ from various books and articles.
A. pieced together B. taken off
C. broken away D. pulled out
[答案]A. pieced together.
[注释]piece together拼合，拼凑;take off起飞;break away from脱离;pull out拔出;驶出;(车)减速。
6. We had a marvelous holiday: only the last two days were slightly _____ by the weather.
A. damaged B. hurt C. ruined D. spoiled
[注释]spoiled使......扫兴: A shower of rain spoiled our day's outing.
7. I could tell he was surprised from the _____ on his face.
A. appearance B. view C. sight D. expression
8. I'd like to take _____ of this opportunity to thank you all for your cooperation.
A. profit B. benefit C. advantage D. interests
[注释]take advantage of(=make use of sth. for one's own benefit)利用：take advantage of my ignorance(利用我的无知)。
9. If you ever have the _____ to go abroad to work, you should take it.
A. possibility B. offer C. luck D. chance
[注释]chance(偶然的)机会。Have与the(或 a) possibility不能搭配;常用There is a possibility for sb. to do sth.表示客观存在的“可能性”。
10. Scientists think they have _____ in their attempt to find the causes of some major dieases.
A. broken through B. worked out
C. fallen out D. got round
[答案]A. broken through.
[注释]break through(=be successful after overcoming a difficulty)突破;取得重大成果：Scientists hope to break through soon in their fight against heart disease.(科学家希望在与心脏病斗争中很快取得重大成果。)
11. His test results are not very _____. He does well one week and badly the next.
A. invariable B. consequent C. continuous D. consistent
[注释]consistent 1)始终如一，前后一致：He is not consistent in his statements.(他的话并不前后一致。) 2)与......一致：The story is not consistent with the facts. What you say is not consistent with what you do.
12. The new safety regulations were agreed on after _____ with the work-force.
A. conference B. participation
C. intervention D. consultation
[注释]consultation商议：hold a consultation with sb. about sth.(与某人商谈某事)。
13. The room was so quiet that she could hear the _____ of her heart.
A. hitting B. beating C. tapping D. knocking
[注释]beating 此处是动名词，指“(心)跳”：Her heart was beating furiously.
14. During World War II Malta managed to _____ most of Italian and German bombers by throwing up an effective anti-aircraft screen.
A. put out B. shut out C. come across D. get across
[答案]B. shut out.
[注释]shut out(=prevent from coming in; block)排除，排斥：They shut out our dust by having double windows.(他们用双层窗户防尘。)
put out扑灭;get across越过;使人了解;come across偶然遇到。
15. I think we should let Maria go camping with her boyfriend. _____, she's a big girl now.
A. Above all B. After all C. First of all D. For all
[答案]B. After all.
“for all + 名词”意为“尽管”: For all his wealth, he was unhappy.(尽管他富有，但他并不幸福。)