1. We don’t need air conditioning, __a__.
A. nor can we afford it
B. neither can afford it
C. nor we can afford it
D. neither we can afford it
2. Could you find someone __a__?
A. for me to play tennis with
B. play tennis with
C. for me to play tennis
D. play tennis
3. “You are too self-centered. It’s high time you _a__ that you are not the most important person in the world.” Edgar said to his boss angrily.
A. realized B. have realized
C. realize D. should realize
4. The government cannot operate effectively __c__ it is free from such interference.
A so long as B so that
C unless D because
5. If I had remembered _a__ the window, the thief would not have got in.
C. to have closed
D. having closed
6. In Britain, the best season of the year is probably __d_ spring.
A. later B. latter C. last D. late
7. If it _b__ tomorrow, the basketball match has to be canceled.
A. rain B. rains C. rained D. will rain
8. Neither his fellow workers nor Tod himself _b__ to the solution put forward by the employer.
A. agree B. agrees
C. agreeing D. to agree
9. If only I _d__ hard in the past few months! But I didn’t work hard enough and failed the maths examination.
A. work B. worked
C. have worked D. had worked
10. None of us knew how the change had come ___.
A. across B. about C. over D. down
11. He offered to _a__ her a hand as the bag was too heavy for her to carry.
A. lend B. help C. show D. borrow
12. They told me it would be cheap but _d__ it cost me nearly $500.
A.in general B. in a word
C. in detail D. in fact
13. Jean did not have time to go to the concert last night because she was busy _b__ for her history examination.
A.to prepare B. preparing
C. to be prepared D. being prepared
14. By the end of this month, we surely _c__ a satisfactory solution to the problem.
B. will be finding
C. will have found
D. are finding
15. Helen was much kinder to her youngest child than she was to the others, __d__, of course, made the others jealous.
A. whom B. that C. what D. which
16. Linda, _a__ has lived next door to me about 10 years, will move to another city soon.
A. who B. which C. that D. what
17. The visitors felt greatly surprised at _d__ they saw in the museum.
A. who B. whose C. how D. what
18. __c__ by his friend for his mistake, Jim felt very unhappy.
A.Criticizing B. To criticize
C. Criticized D. Having criticized
19. So much ___a____ about his ships on the sea that he didn’t sleep for a single minute all night.
A. did he worry B. he did worry
C. he worried D. worried be
20. His new novel is said ___d___ into a film last year.
A. to make B. to have made
C. to be made D. to have been made
21. He tried several times to pass the exam. __b___ the end, he succeeded.
A. On B. In
C. At D. By
22. The report of an earthquake(地震) in the south China Sea has not been _d____ yet.
A. conflicted B. confused
C. confined D. confirmed
23. There is only one boat _d___ for hire. I’m afraid you have to wait for the next one.
A. superior B. capable
C. complicated D. available
24. The letters PTA ___a__ parent-teacher association.
A. stand for B. call for
C. reach for D. care for
25. I’d play football with you now if I ___d_ ten years younger.
A. am B. be
C. had been D. were
26. All the books, __a___ had some pictures in them, were sent to the little girl.
A. which B. that
C. who D. whose
27. Not a single mistake ______ in the test.
A. he made B. did he make
C. he has made D. made be
28. The lady treats the boy next door well as if he __c____ her own son.
A. is B. was
C. were D. would be
29. The city __d__ I was born is on the new railway line.
A. which B. that
C. on which D. where
30. It ___a___ yesterday, for the ground is still wet now.
A. must have rained B. was raining C. rained D. had rained
31. If professor Jones arrives tomorrow, either you or I ___c___ to meet him at the airport.
A. are B. is C. am D. were
32. ___a___ with the size of the whole earth, the highest mountain doesn’t high at all.
A. When compared B. Compare C. While comparing D. Comparing
34. He doesn’t spend much time __c___ his homework.
A. in B. with C. on D. for